Published on April 2, 2014
Now that you’ve joined millions of Americans in getting coverage, you need to learn how to use it.
Here are some steps you can take right now to ensure that you have access to health care once your coverage begins. Follow the links below to learn how to confirm your enrollment with your insurance company, fill a prescription, get care when and where you need it, and appeal a decision by your insurance company.
- Make sure you’re covered. If you think you’ve signed up for health insurance but haven’t heard from your insurance company, we can help you find out if you’re covered. Once you enroll in a plan, you must pay your first premium directly to the insurance company – not to the Health Insurance Marketplace®.
- Get prescription medication under your new plan. Health plans will help pay the cost of certain prescription medications. We can help you find out if your prescription is covered.
- Get medical care and find a doctor. Most health plans give you the best deal on services when you see an “in-network” doctor who has a contract with your health plan. We can help you find doctors and other health care providers covered through your new plan.
- Get emergency care. In an emergency, you should get care from the closest hospital that can help you. That hospital will treat you regardless of whether you have insurance. Your insurance company can’t charge you more for getting emergency room services at an “out-of-network” hospital.
- Use your new coverage to improve your health. Now that you have health coverage, learn what you can do to stay healthy and get the care you need.
- Appeal a health plan decision. If your health insurance company doesn’t pay for a specific health care provider or service, you have the right to appeal the decision and have it reviewed by an independent third party. We can guide you through the process.
If you have questions about your new Marketplace coverage, you can contact your insurance company directly. Or you can contact us at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325). Our trained representatives are available at the Marketplace Call Center 24 hours a day 7 days a week if you need help.